Truck driver job description
Job purpose of Truck driver is to drive tractor-trailer truck to transport products, livestock, or materials to specified destinations.
Key duties/responsibilities of Truck driver:
1. Inspects truck before and after trips and submits report indicating truck condition.
2. Reads bill of lading to determine assignment.
3. Fastens chain or binders to secure load on trailer during transit.
4. Loads or unloads, or assists in loading and unloading truck.
5. Works as member of two-person team driving tractor with sleeper bunk behind cab.
6. Position blocks and ties rope around items to secure cargo for transport.
7. Cleans, inspects, and services vehicle.
8. Operates equipment on vehicle to load, unload, or disperse cargo or materials.
9. Obtains customer signature or collects payment for goods delivered and delivery charges.
10. Assists in loading and unloading truck manually.
11. Services truck with oil, fuel, and radiator fluid to maintain tractor-trailer.
12. Obtains customer’s signature or collects payment for services.
13. Inventories and inspects goods to be moved.
14. Wraps goods using pads, packing paper, and containers, and secures load to trailer wall using straps.
15. Gives directions to helper in packing and moving goods to trailer.
16. Drives tractor-trailer combination, applying knowledge of commercial driving regulations, to transport and deliver products, livestock, or materials, usually over long distance.
17. Maneuvers truck into loading or unloading position, following signals from loading crew as needed.
18. Drives truck to weigh station before and after loading, and along route to document weight and conform to state regulations.
19. Maintains driver log according to I.C.C. regulations.
20. Drives truck with capacity of more than 3 tons to transport and deliver cargo, materials, or damaged vehicle.
21. Maintains radio or telephone contact with base or supervisor to receive instructions or be dispatched to new location.
22. Maintains truck log according to state and federal regulations.
23. Keeps record of materials and products transported.