Software Tester Job Description include key duties as follows:
1. Wrote test cases and test plans for the project
2. Executed test cases
3. Investigated potential defects and discussed them with developers
4. Logged defects during the test execution phase
5. Reported test results to the project manager participated in business requirements review sessions with the peers and business users
6. Organized and participated in test plans walkthroughs
7. Tested the application in functional and system integration testing
8. Wrote traceability matrix to reflect test coverage
9. Prioritized test requirements and organized test cases accordingly
10. Acted as subject expert matter in the functionality assigned for the Project
Tips to write effective job description
Not having the job description reviewed by others:
This is also a common mistake. One may be subject to bias, but more than one, especially with the help of those external advisor, the job description can be more perfect.
Not specific enough:
Be specific and concise; if you don’t address the specific, then what the job description is for. It is for the candidate to understand just exactly what he needs to do or needs to have. Lacking details can confuse the candidates very well.
Listing unnecessary functions or job duties:
Just classifying these into the “others” category will save you a lot of effort and space. On the other hand, the job description will become more dilute and easy to be neglected.
Using buzzwords or abbreviations:
In fact, it is not necessary at all to use such in a job description.
Using slang or legal words:
just use common wording to communicate with others and don’t do anything extraordinarily.
Not updating the job description:
The same job may require different duties and responsibilities in different times, so, you cannot use the same job description for 2 different times.
Source: 12 tips to writer an effective job description – http://4hrm.info/tip-to-writing-job-description/