Shipping and Receiving Clerk job description
Job purpose of Shipping and Receiving Clerk is responsible for performing clerical and physical tasks in connection with shipping goods and receiving incoming shipments. May direct and coordinate the activities of other workers engaged in handling goods to be shipped or being received.
Key duties/responsibilities of Shipping and Receiving Clerk:
1. Lift and move heavy items/packages as required
2. Use a computer as needed for email, internet information and use Microsoft Office documents to create entries and maintain an electronic log of incoming and outgoing packages
3. Requisition and store shipping materials and supplies to maintain inventory of stock
4. Maintain in-house vendor inventory
5. Maintain a busy loading dock in good order, including all necessary labels, equipment, materials and supplies
6. Transport goods in the department truck as needed
7. Package outgoing shipments and parcels
8. Select appropriate carriers/truckers to fill needs, both domestic and international and complete necessary shipping documentation
9. Track shipments as needed
Tips to write effective job description
Not having the job description reviewed by others:
This is also a common mistake. One may be subject to bias, but more than one, especially with the help of those external advisor, the job description can be more perfect.
Not specific enough:
Be specific and concise; if you don’t address the specific, then what the job description is for. It is for the candidate to understand just exactly what he needs to do or needs to have. Lacking details can confuse the candidates very well.
Listing unnecessary functions or job duties:
Just classifying these into the “others” category will save you a lot of effort and space. On the other hand, the job description will become more dilute and easy to be neglected.
Using buzzwords or abbreviations:
In fact, it is not necessary at all to use such in a job description.
Using slang or legal words:
just use common wording to communicate with others and don’t do anything extraordinarily.
Not updating the job description:
The same job may require different duties and responsibilities in different times, so, you cannot use the same job description for 2 different times.
Source: 12 tips to writer an effective job description – http://4hrm.info/tip-to-writing-job-description/