F&B manager (Food and Beverage Manager) job description
Job purpose of F&B manager is to supervise and control all catering outlets in a hotel to the required standards, within agreed budgetary limits and parameters of the law, particularly liquor law.
Key duties/responsibilities of F&B manager:
1. Ensure that consumable and non-consumable goods are ordered, correctly stored and issued to the various departments.
2. Ensure maximum security in all areas under your control and that staff are fully aware of the importance of key security.
3. Ensure that bands and musicians are available when required.
4. Be fully conversant with all statutory requirements regarding a food and beverage operation, that all licenses, including special licences, are timeously applied for and that the conditions affecting the issues of a liquor licence are not jeopardised.
5. Ensure that regular stock takes are conducted.
6. Prepare and submit on the required format all information necessary for budgeting purposes, timeously and accurately.
7. Ensure that an effective table reservation system is in operation.
8. Circulate throughout all restaurants, bars and banqueting departments, maintaining a high profile with customers and staff.
9. To be fully aware of trends in the industry and make suggestions for improvement of the catering operation.
10. To carry out or ensure that regular On-the-Job Training is taking place to agreed standards.
11. Ensure that the most suitably qualified person is appointed in the event of a vacancy — wherever possible this should be an internal promotion.
12. Ensure that staffing levels are correct and to agreed standards and are not exceeded without prior consultation.
13. Ensure that company and statutory hygiene standards are maintained in all areas.
14. Attend timeously to customer complaints.
15. Take the necessary steps in the event of theft, burglary or fire.
16. Ensure that reports and administration requirements are timeously submitted.
17. Ensure that the Back of the House Department operates effectively and efficiently.
18. Hold regular performance appraisals with all management staff, identifying areas for development and training needs, and ensuring that this training is effected.
19. Ensure that fair discipline is effected.
20. Ensure that the causes of staff grievances are investigated and the appropriate action taken.
21. To ensure the prompt and efficient service of all meals, snacks, functions and beverages to the required standards.
22. Ensure that profit margins are maintained, agreed costs are not exceeded through effective control systems, including issuing against dockets, sales analysis, menu costings and cash checks.
23. Ensure that restaurants and cloakrooms are clean and well maintained, that table appointments, including flower arrangements are impeccable.
24. Ensure that waiters are always correctly and smartly dressed, that they offer professional and courteous service to their customers.
25. Ensure that bars and cloakrooms are clean and stocked with the stipulated requirements.
26. Ensure that barmen are well trained, correctly and smartly dressed and serve their customers in a professional and friendly manner.
27. Ensure that room service orders are executed promptly and that they comply with the required standards.
28. Ensure that room service staff are correctly and smartly dressed and serve their customers in a professional and friendly manner.
29. Ensure the efficient running of the banqueting department and that all banqueting rooms, including cloakrooms, are clean and tidy.
30. Ensure that fire and evacuation drills are held regularly.